Alexandru Trifu was born on July 22, 1942 in Bucharest, Romania. He graduated from the Faculty of Fine Arts « Nicolae Grigorescu »(6 years) in Bucharest having several personal exhibitions. He was Master of scientific research at the Ethnography and Folklore institute in Bucarest-Romania and teacher of drawing in several schools in Bucharest-Romania. He settled in Switzerland in the 1980s, where he acquired the Swiss nationality.
Present in museums:
Romanian National Art Museums, Cotroceni in Bucharest, Brukenthal in Sibiu and Galati, where he has 400 artworks.
Museum of Art and History of Geneva, in the service of « Fonds Précieux », this museum created the Alexandru Trifu Fund, the « Musee des Beaux-Arts » in Lausanne, the Kunsthaus in Zurich and the Paul DINI Museum in Villefranche sur Saône-France.
Present in important collections:
Contemporary Art collections of the three famous Swiss banks: U.B.S., Banque Cantonale de Geneve (BCGE) and Crédit Suisse and four private art collections of the most important in French-speaking Switzerland: André l’Huilier and Bernard Sabrier, sponsors of the M.A.M.C.O.(Museum of modern and contemporary art) in Geneva, Suzanne and Selman Selvi, Jacob and Jocelyne Naef, co-founders of the Paul DINI Museum in Villefranche sur Saône-France.
Mentioned in important reference books in the art world:
Dictionary of Romanian Artists written by Octavian Barbosa -1976-Edition Merician (Bucarest – Romania), « Romanian Artists in the West » published by the Romanian Academy of Arts and Sciences-1987-under the direction of the art critic Ionel Jianu.
Biographical Dictionary of Swiss Art from the 15th century to the present day, the first complete biography of Swiss art published by the Swiss Institute for the Study of Art – ISEA, SIKART.
ALBUMS with his works and accompanying texts:
1. EAST-WEST-TRANSCENDANCE, Alcor edition, Bucharest-Romania, 21 large drawings illustrating the comments of the philosopher Arthur Schopenhauer on the subject of joga-sutra:
-MUSEUM of Art and History of Geneva, Swiss National Library, Library of Art and Archaeology of Geneva, National Library of France, Library of the Martin Bodmer Foundation, Library registered in the UNESCO WOrld Heritage of Culture, Romanian National Library, British Library, Library of the Staatliche Musee zu Berlin-Preussicher Gedicht.
2. PLEURER, RIRE, DIRE, M.A.M .C.O. – Contemporary and Modern Art Museum, Geneva – sponsored by the Hans Wildorf Foundation (Rolex):
-University Library of Geneva, Museum of Art and History of Geneva, Library of the Martin Bodmer Foundation, National Library of France, Swiss National Library, where the 81 original drawings of the album can be found.
3. THE PRAISE OF FOLLY, edited by Technomedia-Sibiu-Romania, which tells his own vision of madness:
-National Library of Romania, Museum of Art and History of Geneva, Library of the Martin Bodmer Foundation, British Library.
4. SMALL GUIDE AGAINST TARES, Alcor edition – Romania:
-British Library, Library of the Martin Bodmer Foundation, Library of the Museum of Art and Archaeology which has its 40 photos glued on cardboard canvas on 20 plates drawn plus the text that refer to the images, photos and drawings, National Library of Romania.
5. PUTAIN DE VIE, Eikon edition-Romania:
-British Library, Library of the Martin Bodmer Foundation, Library of the Museum of Art and History of Geneva, National Library of Romania.
Author of books with social content:
- REVOLTA, A FOST ODATA CA NICIODATA, 1942-2014, edited by Tracus Arte, Bucharest-Romania.
- SOS ROMANIA SI UNIREA MITOCANILOR ERUDITI, published by Technomedia-Sibiu-Romania, 190 pages, preface by the Swiss writer and politician Oskar Reysinger. These two books are in the National Library of Romania and in the Presidential Library of Cotroceni-Burhacest-Romania.
Producer of 4 DVDs, containing his illustrated works in musical synergy by two great contemporary music creators, Mr Costin Miereanu and Horatiu Radulescu:
1. AN IMAGINARY MUSEUM -With Costin Miereanu
2. ANCESTRAL BELIEVES-inspired by Mircea Eliade, music Horatiu Radulescu, is located in the Library of the Martin Bodmer Foundation, National Library of France, Library of the Museum of Art and History of Geneva, Library of Art and Archaeology of Geneva.
3. HOMO LUDENS or THE MYTH OF SISYPH -music by Horatiu Radulescu, was premiered at the world premiere of the event « Sibiu European Cultural Capital » in 2007.
4. PRAISE OF FOLLY – music Constantin Miereanu, is in the library of the Martin Bodmer Foundation.
All these DVDs can also be found on the internet.
Engravings, Lithographies made at the Centre International de l’Estampe -URDLA, Villefranche sur Saône, and at the Centre Genevois de la Gravure, Geneva, are at the National Library of France, Swiss National Library, Britsh Library plus 81 original drawings from the album « Pleurer,Rire, Dire »at the Swiss National Library, and 21 large drawings from the album « Orient Occident, Transcendance » at the Art and History National Museum in Geneva.
His work is represented by more than 2500 works, paintings, drawings, engravings, watercolors, photos, illustrated poetry. The works currently presented represent one year of creation.
Most of his archives are in the University Library of Geneva, a library classified in the universal heritage of UNESCO, thanks to the fact that it holds the original documents of Mr.François-Marie Arouet, known as Voltaire.
Dans OAC-Online Archives of California, Szeeman-Harald artist files 1863, bulk 1957-2005, Getty Research Institute Special Collection.
Worldcat- World Library
OI – Oxford Art Line
1. 2019 – ZURICH INTERNATIONAL ART FAIR – represented by InkGallery . Solo exhibition at InkGallery .
2. 2011 – RATHANIA’S – Ars Similis Casus , Rath Museum of Geneva .
3. 2008 – Group exhibition of contemporary drawing at the Espace Nouveau Vallon in Geneva .
4. 2007 – Solo exhibition « Wanted and the Invisible Era » at the RUINE gallery in Geneva .
5. 2006 – Solo exhibition at the Aval gallery in Zurich . Solo exhibition at the RUINE gallery in Geneva .
6 . 2004 – Group exhibition of engravings at the Centre d’Art en l’Ille in Geneva .
7 . 2002 – Group exhibition « Prints » at the Villa du Jardin Alpin in Geneva .
8 . 2000 – Personal exhibition » Voyage dans la vie d’atiste – 1980 – 2000 , at the Banque Edouard Constantin in Geneva .
– Group exhibition » Swiss Artists » at URDLA – Centre International de l’Estampe – Villeurbanne , France .
– Collective exhibition of prints at the Yenisch Museum in Vevey, Switzerland . Exhibition presented on several scenes of French televisions.
9 . 1999 – Collective exhibition » Artistes Susses à URDLA » , Villeurbanne – France .
Collective exhibition in Divonne les Bains , Venelles (Aix en Provence) , Ambérieu en Bugey , MAPRA – Lyon – France .
10 . 1998 – Collective exhibition at the Center of Contemporary Art Lacoux Haute ville » Auto regards de 25 artistes suisses pour un état de la création contemporaine » – » Auto regards de 25 artistes suisses pour un état de la création contemporaine » – » Auto regards de 25 artistes suisses pour un état de la création contemporaine « .
11 . 1993 – Personal exhibition at the Credit Suisse Bank in Vésenaz – Switzerland .
– Solo exhibition at the Art Program Gallery in Carouge, Geneva .
– Group exhibition at the International Exhibition of Chambery, France (bronze medal).
12 . 1992 – Personal exhibition at the Dettinger Mayer Gallery in Lyon , France .
– Among the Swiss artists presented at the Fair of Basel – Switzerland , by URDLA workshops .
– Personal exhibition at the Espace d’Art Contemporain of the University of Lausanne , Switzerland .
– Solo exhibition at the Grange de Dorigny , Lausanne , Switzerland .
13 . 1986 – Group exhibition at the Brancusi Center – Quebec – Canada .
14 . 1985 – Solo exhibition at the Art Forum Gallery in Geneva, Switzerland .
15 . 1983 – Collective exhibition Arts 1983 at the Centre Audio -visuel, Paris, an exhibition reflecting various trends in contemporary art.
16 . 1982 – Salon d’Automne – Paris – France . Personal exhibition at the Ablode Gallery in Geneva .
– Group exhibition » The World Art Contest 2000 European Foundation Office « . 1001 Reason to love the earth – Amsterdam . With the drawing » Because paradise is close to me, just in front of the window « .
Several years as a mural art restorer on several sites in Geneva and Lausanne.